A couple weeks ago, I looked through a storage bin I had packed away before heading to college. I mostly packed it with stuff I wouldn't need until graduation, but put some other things in it for safekeeping. I was looking for something specific to bring back to the house, but rediscovered a couple collectibles that I quickly brought back too:
In 1978, Curtiss candy company released Reggie! Bars, named after Yankees slugger Reggie Jackson. Jackson had stated early in his career that he wanted a candy bar named after him, probably thinking Baby Ruth bars were named after Babe Ruth (they weren't). These bars were available through 1981, Jackson's last season in New York, and again for a brief time after he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Although I've never tasted a Reggie! Bar, it is an interesting part of history, and I was glad to find this wrapper at my local cards and collectibles shop.
In the same store was this autographed photo of Bob Feller. Feller is one of my favorite players to research and write about - he had a 3.34 ERA for the Indians at 17, and ended up leading the American League six times in wins and seven times in strikeouts. In 1946, he threw 371 1/3 innings, the most in baseball since 1917 and over 100 more than the NL leader that season. All told, Rapid Robert won 266 games despite missing three prime seasons to military service.
The photo came with a certificate of authenticity, but I always like personalized autographs because that basically guarantees that the piece is genuine. I can't read the fan's name, but he sure was lucky.
That'll do it for today. I'm grateful for such great finds at the card store and for rediscovering these items in good condition. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading!
The Reggie wrapper is something you dont see every day. Pretty cool.
ReplyDelete