Saturday, July 25, 2026

Any Idea What These Are?

One day at my local card shop, I came across some oversized cards that caught my attention, but weren't readily discernible to my inferior intellect. Being a very ignorant collector, I figured I would pick the brains of more knowledgeable collectors and see if any could recognize what I found. 

The first card depicts Hall of Famer Johnny Mize: 


There was no date on this card, no printing company - no nothing. The back wasn't much help either: 


For a couple bucks, I figured I would give it a go. Despite his unpopularity, Mize was a truly impressive player, and he played a bit for the New York Giants, who are my family's favorite team. I have no idea if this card is vintage or what (although my guess is that it's a reprint c. 1970's or 1980's; could be totally wrong though). 

In the same bin was a similar-looking Bobby Thomson: 


Same deal with the back - blank as the dragon scroll. 

Although I typically don't pay for things I don't recognize, my ignorant, hodge-podge collecting style consists mostly in picking out what I like, and I do love Bobby Thomson, being the one who hit the Shot Heard 'Round the World. I don't know how many times I heard that story as a little kid. 

Welp, that's the post. I do really like these cards, but I wish I knew more about them. Is anyone familiar with them? 

6 comments:

  1. I believe they are exhibit post cards they're nice to have especially when it comes to old time players

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tcdb can help when you browse by player and filter by NNO (no card number)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I looked on tcdb and they said that the Mize was a 1939-46 exhibits card and the Thomson was 1947-66 exhibits. I assume these cards are newer than those dates, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're probably real, and about as old as their dates - though some of the 1939-46 cards were issued past the date of 1946. I have a number of Exhibit cards - they're cool and usually inexpensive.

      Delete
  4. Cool Exhibits!

    A few months ago, someone taught me how to use the Google app on my phone. It has a feature where you can take a photo of something (like an unknown card) and it will help identify the person in the photo as well as the type of trading card. I've been using it a lot at the flea market when I come across stuff I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that would come in handy! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

The Best Uncle Ever

As many baseball cards and player autographs I have, my uncle's collection blows mine out of the water. Dozens of cards I own were gifts...