On Independence Day, my family and I went to see the Cleburne Railroaders, a semi-local indy-ball club. The game itself was magnificent, a back-and-forth affair that eventually favored the Railroaders, but I also found some interesting cards in the team store:
Yep, Pete Incaviglia is the skipper, having piloted the club since 2024. This Incaviglia is one of a 27-card set released by the team in 2025. Although this set was somewhat outdated, I still thought it was worth picking up (especially since the 2026 set wasn't out yet).
Some other cards in the pack:
Former MLB player Shed Long led the team in plate appearances in 2025, batting .259 with 13 steals while splitting time between second and short. Long had played for the Mariners from 2019-21, homering against Gerrit Cole and Dylan Cease as a rookie.
Corner infielder Jose Sermo was one of the team's biggest stars in 2023, slugging 28 homers in 300 at bats. He left the team in 2024 but returned for 13 games in 2025.
I like the 2025 design better, but this card does suggest how fan-friendly the team is, having a designated spot for autographs. Unlike many professional teams, the Railroaders are very accommodating to fans, and my brothers and I have collected many a signature from them. The most recent player to sign for me was 2019 stolen base leader Mallex Smith:
Smith has continued his base-stealing ways in the minors, swiping 40 bags in 50 games as of this writing.
Speaking of autographs:
In January of 2024, the Rangers' World Series trophy went on tour and made a stop at the Cleburne stadium, and the Railroaders used the occasion to officially introduce their new manager to the fanbase. Inky was very kind and gladly autographed my card. (Note to self: don't photograph 1987 Topps cards on that table).
So that's how I spent America 250. Until next time!
Man has Pete changed since then glad he's a gracious signer there would be a few cards I would like to have him sign if I ever met him
ReplyDeleteGood stuff. I've wanting to get down there for years. I miss going to Cats and AirHogs games.
ReplyDeleteI actually used to live in Grand Prairie and see the AirHogs from time to time. I was so disappointed when they folded.
DeleteSounds like a great way to celebrate our country's birthday. That Incaviglia team issue is cool. I remember penny sleeving his rookie cards back in 1987.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Pretty cool that the 2023 design left a spot for player signatures. It makes a lot of sense since a lot of minor leaguer players seem to sign for fans.